Board of Director’s Meeting – Minutes
Wednesday, April 13, 2022
Location: online 6:30 p.m.
Attendees: Eric Chabot (EC), Margaret Lara (ML), Colin Best (CB), Sara Bergsma (SB), Alan Cooke (AC), Joe Taglieri (JT), Rachel Shuttleworth (RS)
Regrets: Miguel Gonsalves (MG), Kristina Tesser Derksen (KTD)
Guests: Eric Parris, Julie Rock, Ian Campbell
EC called the meeting to order at 6:33 p.m.
EC asked the board if there was any declaration of pecuniary interest or conflict of interest. None were made.
Welcome and introduce guests.
Review of previous minutes
- JT moved to accept March minutes. ML seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Treasurer’s Report (Delivered by RS)
- Expenses were $17k for March.
- Impact of salary adjustments is now reflected.
- 14% of budget used to date.
- Few expenses reflected to date for SummerFest, but those will show up in next month’s report.
- Marketing & Admin Assistant left at the end of March so staffing costs will be a bit lighter for April until new person is hired.
- CB moved to accept the Treasurer’s Report. ML seconded the motion. Motion passed.
CB (Local and Regional)
- Regional Official Plan Review – Public meeting happening April 13, going to Regional Council June 15 for final vote.
- Civic Precinct Report reviewed by Council at April 11 meeting, council reviewed staff recommendation to retain consulting services for public engagement and design of updated precinct concept.
- Provincial election to be called early May, election day will be June 2.
- SB moved to accept the Council Report. AC seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Executive Director’s Report
- Finalizing paperwork to hire new Marketing & Administration Assistant and she will start this month. Will be with us for the summer and returning to school in September.
Downtown Milton SummerFest
- Happening Saturday, June 18, 12-8pm.
- Vendor acceptances sent and still working to finalize participating members. Anticipating approx. 70 vendor & BIA member booths.
- Selecting entertainers, discussed options for closers.
- SB – Ensure a good variety of music throughout the day. Lots of great local bands.
- Some sponsors confirmed, further outreach underway.
- Trying to include a small-scale car show for a minimum four-hour period during the event.
Milton Farmers’ Market
- Sent letter to Chamber encouraging them to bring market back to Main Street in 2023.
- Will gauge interest from members about whether they would use a market booth this year if we get one. BIA could get a booth for all or part of the summer.
Public Meeting with Provincial Candidates
- Targeting meeting on Thursday, May 12 in the evening at Southside Community Church.
- Asked board to suggest questions, send ideas to RS ahead of the meeting.
- Will have a public form for members and others to ask questions.
- EC – Could accept additional question suggestions when attendees sign in at the door.
- Want to include a networking/meet & greet element to event.
- CB – Agree with proposed timing – 45 minutes for networking, 45 minutes for moderated discussion.
LED Seasonal Decorations
- We were not approved for the My Main Street grant for this project. Could consider applying for the Canada Community Revitalization Grant for a small portion of the project (ie smaller number of standard decorations, no custom decorations, etc.).
- Board recommends continuing to use wreaths as long as needed, until we get other decorations.
Public Art Mural Project
- Assembling working group to help plan and implement project and a few people on this call are participating – thank you!
- Discussion on what needs to come to the board for approval for this project.
- EC – Working group are going to be most knowledgeable about the project and have lots of expertise in this area. Working group to recommend art design for board approval. All other aspects are best managed by the working group.
- RS establishing project timelines, reaching out to potential sponsors, etc.
- Town staff requesting a resolution to be passed by Council at May 9th meeting indicating that the Town will forward any grant funds we receive directly to BIA. Provides back-up documentation in case funders want it.
- CB moved to accept ED’s Report. AC seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Other Business (CB)
- CB – Town did not approve the use of armour stones as a barricade for the Main & Martin intersection, so those will not go ahead. Town exploring other options for that space.
- ML moved to adjourn. SB seconded the motion. Motion passed.
- Meeting adjourned at 7:25 pm.