Check out this exciting new opportunity to help shape Downtown Milton’s future!
Executive Director, Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area
Thriving, Engaging & Growing. That’s Milton. As the Executive Director of the Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area (DMBIA), you’ll get to live and breathe the spirit of our community every single day.
Our community is loyal and our entrepreneurs are no strangers to hard work. We’re looking for a professional and dynamic advocate and leader for our small business community. Someone we can trust to support and advocate for our cherished businesses.
Our BIA is looking for an Executive Director who reflects and can communicate the essence of Milton; someone who is proud of our diversity and can encourage loyal support for our small businesses.
The DMBIA continues to adapt and be the flagship support for our downtown businesses. We’re witnessing many changes in a changing world and we’re feeling excited for our next chapter.
As Executive Director, you’ll have a direct role in shaping the future of Milton. Alongside our volunteer Board of Management you’ll create programming that invigorates business owners, excites locals, and draws in visitors. We can’t wait to hear what ideas you have for the neighbourhood too.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Collaborate with the Board of Management to make the BIA’s vision a reality by executing a suite of strategic and tactical initiatives.
- Measure the progress we’ve made towards achieving our goals and adjust strategies accordingly so that we succeed.
- While we are not looking for an Event Planner, skills here are particularly helpful.
- Engage diverse community organizations and strengthen community partnerships.
- Plan and oversee the delivery of BIA programming, communications, events, etc.
- Manage the BIA office and motivate team members.
- Oversee day-to-day operations and office logistics.
- Execute and oversee all daily financial matters as well as annual budgeting.
- Oversee BIA governance structure.
- Deliver communications to our members, partners, stakeholders, council, and the media in a clear and consistent manner.
- Help our downtown look beautiful and stay that way throughout the year.
- Be the “face” of our BIA in the media and with our stakeholders.
- Uphold our values and share pride in our community.
What we’re looking for:
- Stellar communication skills. Your enthusiasm is infectious, but you also know when a situation requires patience, empathy and compassion.
- Creativity and outside-the-box thinking. Where other people see the ordinary, you make meaningful connections between people, ideas, and resources.
- A true leader. You can confidently lead a small team and inspire them to bring their best work to the BIA every single day.
- A heart for the community. The thought of getting to live the spirit of Milton every day is what inspires the smile on your face during your morning coffee.
- A multi-tasker who doesn’t shy away from hard work, even if that means wearing more than one hat.
- A hard worker. Someone who can both strategize the ROI of our flagship events but is also willing to tackle the details and logistics with ease.
- A Jack of all trades. You don’t have to be the Master of One but you must have the willingness to learn a lot of things about a lot of things.
- A good visionary. You see innovative opportunities to generate revenue and grow sponsorships.
- Flexibility with your time and finding new ways to get the job done more efficiently.
- A lifelong learner. You soak up new information like a sponge.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Post-secondary education or relevant certification.
- Background in Business, Community Development, Economic Development preferred.
- Previous management experience is a plus.
- Prior knowledge of the BIA model is a plus.
- Project management experience is a benefit.
- Previous event planning experience is an asset.
- Familiarity with the basics of social media management and marketing is beneficial
Note: This role requires flexibility of your schedule and can require evenings and weekends when necessary.
$68,000 – $72,000 Compensation is commensurate on skill level and experience. Full-time (40 hours per week).
How to Apply:
In lieu of a cover letter, we want you to provide us with your own, personal mission statement. In 3 or 4 sentences, tell us why you’d be a good candidate for this job. Please submit your résumé and mission statement to email@example.com by February 24, 2023