Temporary position, May to August 2021, 35 hours per week
The Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area is seeking an enthusiastic, motivated and qualified candidate for the position of Marketing and Administration Assistant. Through this opportunity, a young professional or post-secondary student can build a broad skill set and gain hands-on experience supporting small businesses and the local community.
- Coordinate marketing campaigns to promote local businesses and the community through a variety of channels. Monitor, evaluate and report on marketing activities.
- Write content for media materials, member and community newsletters and the website.
- Plan and create engaging posts for social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) utilizing written content, photos and videos.
- Graphic design for promotional material, ads, social media and more.
- Assist in the planning and execution of virtual or in-person activities and events (format conditional on Public Health guidelines):
- Contribute to workback plans, schedules, templates and post-event reports
- Participate in planning committee meetings
- Engage member businesses and property owners
- Support with logistics, permits, participants, partners, suppliers, vendors, volunteers
- Photography database – Organize and maintain photographs. Take photos of the downtown community and local businesses for use in marketing activities.
- Coordinate the Garden Sponsorship Program – Promotion, sponsor recruitment and management, payments and logistics.
- Membership database – Maintain the member database and online directory, ensure accuracy of member contact information, prepare reports.
- Assist with administrative tasks, public and member inquiries, ordering, data entry, invoicing.
- Support with reporting, community research and more.
- Enrolled in or completed a college diploma or university degree in marketing, communications, business, event management or a related field
- Candidate must meet the requirements of the Canada Summer Jobs program (see this link for details, under ‘What youth participants are eligible’ section: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/funding/canada-summer-jobs/screening-eligibility.html)
- Strong writing skills, experience writing in a professional context is an asset
- Experience using social media in a professional context (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter)
- Knowledge of graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite)
- Experience in planning and executing events and activities
- Experience using WordPress, MailChimp, Hootsuite
- Basic knowledge of photography, videography and editing preferred
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail
- A keen interest in community-based organizations and supporting small businesses
- Outgoing and confident with an ability to learn quickly
- Flexible, self-motivated and eager to complete a wide variety of tasks
Hours and Compensation:
Weekdays (Monday to Friday), 35 hours per week, May to August 20201. Occasional evening and weekend hours will be required based on business needs. This position involves remote work and office time. The rate of pay is $15 per hour.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and reference the position in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the deadline to apply is Tuesday, April 13, 2021. No phone calls please. We thank all candidates in advance for their interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
About the Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area:
The Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area (BIA) works to enhance and restore Downtown Milton and promote it as a vibrant and growing business community. We support local businesses, property owners and the community through beautification efforts, special events, marketing and promotions and strategic partnerships. For more information, visit www.downtownmilton.com.