Digital Service Squad Team Member
This is a temporary position for 3-4 months (November 2020 to February 2021), option for full or part-time.
The Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area (BIA) is seeking outgoing, enthusiastic, qualified candidates for the position of Digital Service Squad (DSS) Team Member. The Digital Service Squad is one component of Digital Main Street, an initiative that supports the growth of main street small businesses by helping them gain skills and adopt digital tools and technology.
As a member of the Digital Service Squad, you will be a key contributor to the success of the platform and the growth of the program as a whole. The focus of this role is to work one-on-one (in-person and/or virtually) with main street small businesses.
Reporting to the Downtown Milton BIA’s Executive Director (Digital Service Squad Administrator), the DSS Team Member provides the following services:
- On-boarding Assistance
- Conduct pre-business visit research to best understand the BIA and businesses.
- Working with the BIA, set up appointments and/or go door-to-door to onboard main street small businesses to the Digital Main Street platform.
- Walk through the on-boarding survey with the business owner and use appreciative inquiry methods to best understand their business goals and how digital tools/technology can assist them in meeting their goals.
- Assist the business in staying in touch with Digital Main Street by subscribing to the e-newsletter and social channels.
- Advisory Services
- Once the business has been on-boarded to the Digital Main Street platform, walk through the Digital Assessment and recommendations with the business owner.
- Assist the business owner in identifying their first priorities and the first digital tools/technology they want to activate.
- Review vendor recommendations made through the platform and lead the business owner to relevant deals/discounts on the platform.
- Activation/Implementation Services
- Activate and implement free, easy-to-use digital tools and technologies that businesses would like to use (i.e., activating social media accounts, building a basic website, supporting the set-up of an e-commerce store, etc.).
- As needed, provide resources (articles, links, how-to guides, webinars) available through secondary sources that can help the business owner learn more about a particular tool that has been activated, or subject matter of interest.
- Reporting and Feedback
- Complete field notes and report on a weekly basis to the Digital Service Squad
- Attend team meetings as set out by the DSS Administrator.
- Ensure ALL DATA is entered on time and accurately within the Digital Main Street CRM (HubSpot).
- Halfway through the employment term, a performance evaluation will be conducted.
- Special Projects
- Lead the implementation of special projects and/or community-wide BIA initiatives (i.e. Google 360 photography).
- Work with the DSS Administrator to ensure successful activation of initiatives and increased Digital Main Street engagement.
- Help business owners develop their Digital Transformation Plan needed to apply for the Digital Transformation Grant, and subsequently help to implement the plan if approved for the Grant.
The DSS Team Member may be required to attend workshops and events related to Digital Main Street. There may be other duties, as required, that will be discussed with the DSS Team Member should they arise.
The DSS Team Member will have the opportunity to interface directly with the BIA and the Digital Main Street corporate partners. All successful candidates will receive training on the program and if applicable, from the corporate partners, prior to in-field deployment. The majority of the DSS Team Member’s time will be spent working in the field or virtually with the businesses (subject to local health regulations and recommendations).
- Enrolled in or completed a college diploma or university degree in a related field
- At least one (1) year of experience in a sales or marketing environment
- Strong communications skills (written and verbal)
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building/relationship management skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to travel to and work independently (or remotely) with local businesses
- Familiar with digital technologies for small business (e.g., web, social media, e-commerce, etc.)
- Able to use basic software and collaboration tools such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point) and Slack
- Previous experience with online and offline marketing is considered a strong asset
- Previous experience working with small businesses in BIAs is considered an asset
Hourly rate: $18 per hour
Please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please indicate whether you are available full-time, part-time or both as well as the date you are available to start.
The deadline for applications is Monday, November 2, 2020 at 5:00 p.m. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We thank all candidates for their interest in this opportunity. Note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.