Temporary position, April/May to August 2022, 35 hours per week
The Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area is seeking an enthusiastic and skilled candidate for the position of Marketing and Administration Assistant. Through this opportunity, a qualified candidate can build a broad skill set and gain hands-on experience supporting small businesses and the local community.
- Coordinate marketing activities to promote local businesses and the community through a variety of channels. Monitor, evaluate and report on marketing activities.
- Write content for the website, member and community newsletters and other materials.
- Plan and create engaging posts for social media (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter) utilizing written content, photos and videos.
- Graphic design for promotional material, ads, social media and more.
- Assist in the planning and execution of activities and in-person events:
- Contribute to workback plans, schedules, templates and post-event reports
- Participate in planning committee meetings
- Engage member businesses and property owners
- Support with logistics, permits, partners, suppliers, vendors, volunteers
- Support with set-up, implementation and tear-down on event days
- Membership database – Maintain the member database and online directory, ensure accuracy of member contact information, prepare reports.
- Garden Sponsorship Program – Engage businesses, manage payments and logistics, recognize sponsors.
- Discover Downtown Milton guide – Create and assemble quarterly online shopping guide content, update, publish and promote guide.
- Photography & Videography – Take photos and videos of the downtown community and local businesses for use in marketing activities. Organize and maintain content.
- Assist with administrative tasks, public and member inquiries, ordering, data entry and invoicing.
- Support with developing reports, community research and more.
- Enrolled in or completed a college diploma or university degree in marketing, communications, business, event management or a related field
- Candidate must meet the requirements of the Canada Summer Jobs program (see this link for details, under ‘What youth participants are eligible’ section: https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/funding/canada-summer-jobs/screening-eligibility.html)
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Experience using social media in a professional context (Instagram, Facebook)
- Good graphic design skills (Adobe Creative Suite, Canva Pro)
- Event management experience
- Experience with WordPress, MailChimp, Hootsuite, Google Ads
- Knowledge of photography, videography (for social media graphics and videos)
- Outgoing and confident with an ability to learn quickly
- Some experience in sales or fundraising preferred
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- A keen interest in community-based organizations and supporting small businesses
- Flexible, self-motivated and eager to lead and complete a wide variety of tasks
Hours and Compensation:
Weekdays (Monday to Friday), 35 hours per week, April/May to August 2022. Occasional evening and weekend hours will be required based on business needs. Must be available to work Saturday, June 18, and select Saturdays over the summer. Work location is 251 Main St. E, suite 103. Compensation is $16.50 per hour.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and reference the position in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the deadline to apply is Thursday, April 7, 2022. No phone calls please. We thank all candidates in advance for their interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
About the Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area:
The Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area (DMBIA) works to enhance and restore Downtown Milton and promote it as a vibrant and growing business community. We support local businesses, property owners and the community through beautification efforts, special events, marketing and promotions and strategic partnerships. For more information, visit www.downtownmilton.com.