The Town of Milton draws its roots back to 1821 when one of the first families to arrive in the area, Jasper and Sarah Martin and their three young sons, immigrated to Canada from England. They settled in what is currently the area around Martin Street and the Mill Pond, north of Main Street, and Jasper started a gristmill powered by the 16 Mile Creek. For a more complete history, see the Milton Historical Society’s Brief History of Milton. Today, you can visit Downtown Milton and see many of the important buildings and landmarks that featured prominently in our town’s history
New Town Hall – 150 Mary Street
The Town Hall, originally built as the County Court House, was completed in 1855. The addition of the Town jail and jail yard took place in 1877. In 1982, the Town purchased the building from Halton Region for just $1 and after restoration in 1985, it became the New Town Hall.
McKersie-Kocher Funeral Home – 114 Main Street E.
This attractive pressed-brick house was built by James Houston in 1901, on the site of an old roller-skating rink (built in 1885). It became a funeral home in 1953.
Waldie Blacksmith Shop – 16 James Street
The blacksmith shop of James Alfred Waldie Sr. was built in 1865 and today is the only blacksmith shop in Ontario still located on its original property. For more information, visit Waldie’s Blacksmith Shop.
The Clements’ Block – 227 Main Street E.
This major block was built by John Dewar, Jr. in 1887. He occupied an office on the second floor. These buildings have served many purposes including a hardwood store, an early post office and a hydro commission office.
Old Post Office – 243 Main Street E.
This was built as a post office in 1914 for $21,000. Before the introduction of letter carrier service in 1967, this was an important gathering point.
Old Town Hall – 251 Main Street E.
This building has played a key role in the life of Milton since before Confederation. An upstairs auditorium served as the town’s centre for political and social activities until 1966 when it was converted to council chambers and the building was extensively remodeled. The town library was located on the main floor for many years. It was also the town’s fire hall and served as a Town Hall until 1985.
Mill Pond – Off Martin Street
The Mill Pond was the original holding basin for water used to power the mill, and in 1967 the town developed the park into what it is today. It is said that the gazebo looks to be floating on the pond from certain angles.