Board of Director’s Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, Sept. 11, 2019
Location: Chamber Boardroom 6:30 p.m.
Attendees: Eric Chabot (EC), David O’Connell (DO), Colin Best (CB), Troy Newton (TN), Kristina Tesser Derksen (KTD),
Margaret Lara (ML), Miguel Gonsalves (MG), Cheryl Ciccarelli (CC).
Guests: Alan Cooke (AC), Joe Taglieri (JT)
Regrets: Sukh Brar (SBr), Sara Bergsma (SB),
EC called the meeting to order at 6:31 pm.
EC asked the table if there was any declaration of pecuniary interest or conflict of interest. No declarations were made.
EC asked the group to review the previous meeting minutes.
• CB moved to accept the minutes as presented. DO seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Treasurer’s Report (attached).
MG notes that he’d like a better understanding on reserves. CB noted that excess at the end of year goes into reserves. Cc has requested contact from Zantea and Siyu for Miguel.
DO moved to accept the treasurer’s report. CB seconded the motion. Motion passed.
KD presented the local Councillor’s report:
• It is budget season. It has been recommended that there be an increase in property taxes to maintain current levels of service. Last year staff recommended 13% increase and council ended up at 8% increase.
• Core services review is in
• Sherwood opens this month – soft opening Sept 21. Library opens on the 30th with the grand opening on family day.
• Fire Department has finished work at the old Restore building. It should be down at end of month.
CB presented the regional Councillor’s report
• Announced Britannia Road construction over CN tracks – 6 lanes.
• Regional review should be back in November. We will learn if 1 or 2 tiers for Halton.
• Region is working on a budget but has been told by the Province that will have to assume extra services
MG moved to accept the Council report as presented. DO seconded the motion. Motion Passed.
CC presented the Executive Director’s Report (attached).
• Halton Retail & Tourism Partnership Committee Meeting – Sept. 16th – even though not specifically a tourist office, important to keep up to date with this area
• AGM has been set for La Toscana on Wed. Oct. 16th from 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm. David O’Connell and Frank Adili will speak on the implementation of Wifi on Main Street.
• CC reviewed the SS19 Summary Report noted that the event seemed more successful than last year but could still be tweaked to encourage greater participation.
• Holiday Event
o 1. E Vote Ratification – SB had made the following motion “put forth a motion to proceed (with researching costs, booking, reserving or renting…. etc…) for the DBIA to run a medium size holiday street market” and an e-vote was held by the board. The board voted unanimously in favour of the motion. The Board was asked to confirm their vote at the meeting.
CB moved to accept the motion. MG seconded the motion. Motion passed. ../E-Vote Record- Holdiay19 .docx
o 2. HolidayFest2019
CC reviewed the plans and proposed budget for HolidayFest 2019.
The board debated the pros and cons of hosting the event and discussed which elements were important to include.
CC was instructed to proceed with plans for HolidayFest and to include vendors on the street. The board also agreed with the necessity to increase the amount budgeted for social media marketing. The board was advised that we may not break even on the event and could run a deficit if no sponsorship was secured.
Board urged that we announce this event asap as there are other groups looking at hosting something similar on the same day.
CB made a motion to accept the ED’s report. TN seconded the motion. Motion passed.
• CB: Federal election has been called. Encourage people to vote and have candidates to come out.
• DO: power now in Oasis pkg lot on Mary Street. There is going to be a food truck pavilion in that lot.
• CB – Champion has a report about crime downtown. JT mentioned that he’s seen an increase and has had to call police. Bus Stop means that lots of garbage. Bus stop should have a bin. TN also mentioned that he’s seen people from the creek.
• Board discussed increased crime and vagrancy in Downtown Milton. CC to see if there is still a community officer or other person to discuss with.
• JT spoke about garbage problems in relation to bus stop near his business. TN agreed. CB to investigate.
TN made a motion to adjourn the meeting. CB seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Meeting adjourned at 8:12 pm.