Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area
Board of Director’s Meeting
Wednesday, November 8, 2017
Location: Milton Chamber of Commerce Boardroom
In attendance: Sara Bergsma, John Silva, David O’Connell, Valerie Nicholson, Margaret Lara, Troy Newton, Eric Chabot, Rachel Shuttleworth
Regrets: Mike Boughton, Colin Best, Jennifer Beaver
Call to order: 6:45 p.m.
Review of Previous Minutes
MOTION to accept minutes from previous meeting by Val, Seconded by Margaret
Declaration of Pecuniary or Conflict of Interest
- Clean up of member database – nearing completion, has been an opportunity to engage members that haven’t been involved in the past and educate them on the BIA, collection of employee information
- Sponsorship deck outlining opportunities for sponsors
- Resourcing update – Marketing Manager departing for a new role, will be posting for an event-focused resource. Recommendation to turn the part-time position into a full-time position. Board members encouraged to share posting out once it’s posted.
MOTION to use $8,500 for additional staff support in the office by Troy, seconded by Eric.
- Recent update with Indira Naidoo-Harris – No updates on Bill 148 but she said there is work underway on offsets for small business
- Honourable Andrew Scheer Luncheon – November 9 (Chamber)
- Mayor’s Breakfast – February 16 (Chamber)
Vacancy Rate October 2017
- OBBIA vacancy average is 9.7%
BIA Marketing and Exposure
- Event promotions and coverage on Tiny Tots Trick or Treat event
- Event promotions and media relations – Holiday Street Market
- Ongoing exposure through Champion, Snap’d, etc.
Tiny Tot Trick or Treat in Downtown Milton
- Event took place Saturday, October 28
- Good turn-out despite the rain (around 3,000 people)
- 51 members handed out candy
- Positive feedback from participants and members
- $3,500 in sponsorship raised
- Hospital Foundation sold branded bags at the event. Next year they do not have staff to sell at the event. Recommendation to reach out to Ladies’ Auxiliary for support with the bags next year.
Downtown Milton Street Festival
- Waiting for new proposed logo from Town Communications Department
- BIA submitted letter to Members of Council expressing support for staff’s recommendation for $10k increase in Town’s Street Festival budget
- Target revenues are $20,000. Recommended changes for 2018:
- Increase to vendor fees (increases based on fees for comparable events)
- Charging HST on vendor fees
- No charge for BIA members to participate
- Refundable deposit for vendors and BIA members (required prior to the event)
- Increased revenues from Beer Garden
Holiday Street Market
- Dates: December 2, 9 and 16, 12 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Multi-year service agreement signed with Vaulted Inc.
- Ongoing work to engage BIA members
- Marketing and promotions underway
- Require signatures from 80% of members in closed off area for road closure
- Judges needed for event – Poutine & Christmas Tree Decorating Contest – board members to volunteer for judging, etc.
Other upcoming events
- Remembrance Day Parade & Ceremony – Sunday, November 12
- Santa Claus Parade – Sunday, November 19 (BIA will be a Gold level sponsor)
- Ongoing promotion of community and member events and activities
Wreaths, String lights, Banners
- Wreaths will be mounted, string lights fixed as needed and a few banners repaired or replaced starting November 14
- Work to begin on RFP process for flowers, sourcing contractor for regular electrical work
MOTION to accept ED Report by Val, Seconded by Troy
MOTION to adjourn meeting by Margaret, Seconded by Troy