Downtown Milton BIA Meeting Minutes
Location: Downtown Milton BIA Office
Wednesday, June 10, 2015
Attendees: Eric Chabot, David O’Connell, Valerie Nicholson, Sara Bergsma, Margaret Lara, Miriam
Dorland-Haight, Jackie Rowley, Colin Best, Mike Boughton, Katrina Lemire
Regrets: John Da Silva
Action Items Summary:
• Katrina to prepare complete post-game review of DMSF.
• Katrina to send out link to Civic Study Terms of Reference.
• Katrina to investigate process associated with application for Tourism Exemption.
• Katrina to start the ED recruitment process based on the timelines and actions presented.
Call to Order: 6:33pm
Review of Previous Minutes:
MOTION to accept: Colin, Seconded by: Sara
Declaration of Pecuniary or Conflict of Interest:
• No new conflicts
Treasurer’s Report: Presented by Eric in John’s absence
• All expenses/revenues are on track to budget for the year
MOTION to accept Treasurer’s Report: Valerie, Seconded by: Mike
• Regional Transit Plan is being considered to align all transit services in Halton
• A new study on housing will look at options to offer more affordable housing
• MEDAC has confirmed that Lowe’s will be taking over the former Target location at Milton Mall
• Upcoming traffic concerns
o Laurier Bridge between Commercial and Valleyview Crescent to be closed this summer
o Main Street West construction between Whitmer and Bronte is being planned and may
result in Main Street being closed for 3 months. Final plan yet to be approved by Council.
• Garbage in public bins on the weekends is a concern, especially on Sundays. Consider
discussing options with Town for improved weekend maintenance.
• Bill 34 was passed and may aid improving improve cross walks Downtown. More details to come.
• Victoria Park re-development continues with another public input session scheduled for
Wednesday, June 17th.
MOTION to accept Council Report: Jackie, Seconded by: Miriam
• Great weather helped in attracting a large crowd.
• Considerations for 2016:
o Need to find ways to reduce crowding in some areas
o Create better signage for parking and post an overall site map (vs. just handing out flyers)
• Complete financial review will be presented at July meeting
Pan Am Support
• Capture the Flags promotion has been updated to encourage people to come Downtown more
often during the promotional period. Flags will be “hidden” from June 19 to July 26 and
participants will “capture” them by posting it on social media (rather than actually taking the flag).
• Repair of electrical receptacles and tree lights is complete.
• Katrina to present a financial review of all beautification efforts at the next Board meeting.
Town of Milton Civic Precinct Study and Character Area Study
• ACTION: Katrina to send out link to Terms of Reference to entire Board for review.
• Colin confirmed that interim reports are expected to come to Council on a regular basis to provide
Website Update: Presented by David O’Connell, BANG! Creative
• Draft design of website pages was presented.
• Business directory will include individual business pages with a picture of the exterior and links to
key information including website and social media.
• Existing logo will be used rather than the one designed earlier in 2015. This decision was made
because the only branded assets that currently use the logo are directional signs in various
locations in Milton. The Town initially installed these signs. Because of the Civic Study and the
potential changes Downtown, it is anticipated that the Town would not support the update of these
signs and the BIA does not have the budget required to support an update. Additionally, the Civic
Study may lead to a new look or attraction Downtown that we may want to incorporate into a new
MOTION to accept Executive Director Report: David, Seconded by: Colin
Stat Holiday Exemption
• Colin asked if BIA should apply for Tourism Exemption through Halton Region so businesses can
be open on stat holidays. Board agreed that we should apply.
• ACTION: Katrina to investigate process and requirements associated with application.
Executive Director Recruitment
• Katrina announced her resignation as of August 28th, 2015 due to her family’s relocation to
• Katrina reviewed the recruitment plan which included Katrina completing the application and prescreening
process. A Board Committee was established to conduct the interview process and
final hiring decision. The committee will be chaired by Eric with involvement by David, John,
Valerie, Margaret and Jackie. Note that all committee members must be able to participate in all
interviews to be involved in the process.
• MOTION: Hiring Committee has the ability to offer up to $55,000 in salary and flexibility in
hours to attract the ideal candidate for the ED position. David, Seconded by: Colin
• ACTION: Katrina to start the recruitment process based on the timelines and actions presented.
MOTION to adjourn the meeting (8:10pm): David, Seconded by: Colin