Board of Director’s Meeting – Minutes
Wednesday, April 8, 2020
Location: online 6:30 p.m.
Eric Chabot (EC), David O’Connell (DO), Joe Taglieri (JT), Colin Best (CB), Miguel Gonsalves (MG), Margaret Lara (ML), Sara Bergsma (SB), Kristina Tesser Derksen (KTD), Cheryl Ciccarelli (CC).
Troy Newton (TN),
EC called the meeting to order at 6:36 pm.
EC asked the table if there was any declaration of pecuniary interest or conflict of interest. NO declarations were made.
EC asked the group to review the previous meeting minutes.
- CB motioned to accept. DO seconded the motion. Motion passed
Treasurer’s Report (presented at meeting).
- MG presented treasurer’s report.
- DO moved to accept the treasurer’s report. SB seconded the motion. Motion passed.
- All covid-`19 much put on hold
- Cons halton cancelled.
- Tom staff in crisis mode – focusing on covid mitigation town hall closed
- Is a hotline: snitch line for violations coordinated effort b/w bylaw and police
- Voted to defer property tax but hope to have people to pay if can
- Sp mtg of council re: more covid mitigation
- Health Department is the lead agency for Covid-19 in Halton Region – getting daily reports. As of April 8th there were 50 cases in Milton. There is an outbreak in Allendale. Only essential construction is permitted.
- Fluid situation re: programs for relief
- EC: any discussion on when to come back?
- KTD – There is too much uncertainty as we haven’t reached the point of flattening the curve – were there would be fewer cases than day before. All speculation. Expect little opening in July with continued social distancing
- EC: if this goes to July what is town going to do about vacant businesses/tenants. Expect much to happen in May – real issues in July. (re: business closures). May be able to pay may taxes but beyond is uncertain.
- KTD: haven’t really had commercial discussions – (I) expect that this maybe on Tuesday agenda for council. Possible action is unclear. This is totally unchartered territory. Not sure how much more is available.
- EC: Please encourage the town to consider this as commercial properties could use this. Up to 3 yrs ago had rebate on tax – town s/b looking long and hard as this will wipe people out. KTD to take this point to council.
- CB: looking at this issue from another place ie: education taxes. Looking to provincial for help.
- CC to check with town clerk re: remote meetings
- SB moved to accept the Council report as presented. ML seconded the motion. Motion passed.
CC presented the Executive Director’s Report (attached).
- In addition to the items presented in the attachment, the following things were discussed.
- Board discussed the feasibility of the Car Show in July and agreed that it would be in the public’s best interest to cancel the event for 2020.
- Summer Student – BOD discussed whether there would be enough work for a student hired in April/May. It was determined that we do not have enough work for a student currently but depending on when social distancing is lifted, we may have work in August or September. The BOD agreed that we should re-examine the situation closer to that time.
- Beautification – BOD discussed that the current plan for Spring beautification (soil application, electrical repair and flower installation) be maintained.
- BIA Member Survey – CC reviewed the results of the recent Member Survey (see below).
- 8% or respondents are closed.
- Remaining are either working remotely or doing curb side pick up, take out or delivery.
- Biggest concerns: Rent relief, Cash flow, losing customers
- What is needed most from the BIA?
- Promotion of my business on the BIA’s website, in social media and other media – 54.5% (6)
- Prepare to support my business when the pandemic ends – 45.5% (5)
- Support with social media – 27.3% (3)
Marketing, Promotion and Social Media help – 27.3% (3)
Assistance with getting my concerns to the attention of the Town of Milton, our MP or MPP,
The Provincial or Federal governments – 27.3% (3)
- Regular E-newsletters that gather Covid-19 information, webinars and programs in one place – 9.1% (1)
- No change in services 9.1% (1)
- CC will share the results with the Town, the MP and MPP.
- CC shared the results of the OBIAA Covid-19 Survey: Impact to BIA Communities. See link: https://mcusercontent.com/4db9e3e90e782357fee0aa8c7/files/c0f3f9c8-404a-45f2-91e3-4061b8b09fc7/OBIAA_COVID19_IMPACT_TO_BIA_COMMUNITIES_SURVEY_SUMMARY_RESULTS.pdf
- Budget: CC suggested that the operating budget should be re-examined in light of the changes due to Covid-19. CC to contact Miguel to evaluate.
- CB moved to accept the ED’s report. JT seconded the motion. Motion passed.
- JT driving by at nighttime – there is a lot of presence on streets. Is there an actual routine drive by scheduled? CB to mention to police superintendent.
- SB: Asked for a Chudleigh’s update. CC to ask.
- ML moved to adjourn the meeting. DO seconded the motion. Motion passed. Meeting adjourned at 7.24pm.