Board of Director’s Meeting Minutes
Wed. April 10, 2018
Chamber Boardroom 6:30 pm
Attendees: David O’Connell (DO), Miguel Gonsalves (MG), Colin Best (CB), Kristina Tesser Derksen (KTD), Troy Newton (TN), Margaret Lara (ML), Sukh Brar (SBr), Cheryl Ciccarelli (CC). Guests: Joe Taglieri and Alan Cooke
DO called the meeting to order at 6.45pm.
Do introduced guests Joe Taglieri (property owner of 300 Main Street – Knead to Balance) and Alan Cooke (Co-owner, The Barn Door Studio). Joe and Alan are perspective Board member. Then the Board went around the table to do introductions.
DO asked the table if there was any declaration of pecuniary interest or conflict of interest. No declarations were made.
DO asked the group to review the previous meeting minutes.
- ML moved to accept the minutes as presented.MG seconded the motion. Motion passed.
MG presented the treasurer’s report (attached).
- We expended 3.6% of the budget in March.Mostly salary, benefits, rent and landscaping. Nothing unusual.
- CB moved to accept the treasurer’s report. TN seconded the motion. Motion passed.
KTD presented the local Councillor report.
- Mature neighbourhood study was released – mostly residential in focus.
- At next council meeting there will be a discussion about the proposed Bronte Condo development – 5 delegations have already been registered.
- Councillor Tesser Derksen reported that she has purchased a building on Martin St. for her practice.
CB presented the regional Councillor report.
- CB brought a map of the construction in Ward 1 (attached).
- Region’s Growth Scenario completed through 2031-2041. Plans for 39,000 more homes for Milton. Should be approved by 2021.
SB moved to accept the Council report as presented. ML seconded the motion. Motion Passed.
CC presented the Executive Director’s Report (attached).
- TOM has suggested that we do not do an Opening Ceremonies this year. BOD discussed and agreed that we will not do the Opening Ceremonies this year.
Holiday Street Market / Holiday Event
- CC reviewed her initial report on a Holiday themed event (attached.) BOD expressed concerns with how big the event should be and the possibility of attendee expectations not being met.
- CB introduced a motion to investigate 3rdparty options and report to the board at the next meeting. A decision should be made at that time to move forward with planning a Holiday event or cancel it in light of the insufficient timeline. KTD seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Digital Main Street:
- CC reviewed her Digital Main Street Opportunities report (attached.)
- BOD agreed that CC should investigate setting up a workshop for members to complete the initial steps of registration. CC to investigate options through OBIAA, MEV and Silicon Halton. Could invite members to bring their laptops and have people to help them through those 40 questions. CC to update BOD at next month’s meeting.
CB motioned to accept the ED report. ML seconded the motion. Motion passed.
DO asked if a there was any new business.
- CC noted that CB had forwarded a report from Joy Anderson, Director – Cultural & Community Investment to The Town of Milton. It included a discussion on the DMSF. CC noted that she had discussed with Joy. They agreed that the BIA had taken on more than previously agreed to this year due to staff illness but that it was not feasible to take on additional work ie: sponsorship, marketing, and the other tasks that TOM has been doing for this year.
- DO thanked the guests for their participation in this meeting and their interest in joining the Board. BIA to follow up with them before next meeting.
CB motioned to adjourn the meeting. TN seconded the motion. Motion passed.