Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area
Board of Director’s Meeting
Wednesday, September 9th, 2015
- Call to Order
- Review of previous minutes
- Declaration of Pecuniary or Conflict of Interest
- Treasurer’s Report
- Council Report
- Executive Director’s Report
- New Business
- Next Meeting Date: Wednesday, October 14th at 6:30pm
Previous Meeting’s Minutes
Downtown Milton BIA Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015
Attendees: David O’Connell, John Da Silva, Colin Best, Valerie Nicholson, Sara Bergsma, Margaret Lara, Miriam Dorland-Haight, Katrina Lemire, Laurie Chambers
Regrets: Eric Chabot, Jackie Rowley, Mike Boughton
Action Items Summary:
- Laurie to investigate different options for tree lighting as part of the 2016 budget process.
- Laurie to schedule re-install of Downtown banners as soon as possible.
- Laurie to provide an update for Fall/Winter events, including ideas for holiday décor, at the September meeting.
Call to Order: 6:54pm
Welcome/Introductions: Laurie Chambers, the new Executive Director, was introduced and provided a brief review of her background.
Review of Previous Minutes:
MOTION to accept: Colin, Seconded by: Valerie
Declaration of Pecuniary or Conflict of Interest:
- No new conflicts
Treasurer’s Report: John da Silva
- John presented a complete review of the finances YTD.
- Admin accounts are tracking with budget and may see a slight surplus at year end.
- Summer events are tracking at 90% of budget. Most expenses/revenue have now been realized with the exception of some small expenses associated with Downtown Taste Tours.
- Low utilization of the $1500 Member Engagement budget.
- Beautification budget has been spent for 2016 with repairs of receptacles and lights. Fall/winter maintenance may still be required at an additional cost. Ongoing and increasing expenses associated with tree lighting are creating a significant impact to our budget. Other options for tree lights were discussed but more information is required to make a decision around next steps.
- ACTION: Laurie to investigate other options available for tree lighting. To discuss as part of the 2016 budget process.
- Revenue is slightly ahead of plan ($5K) thanks to increases in Fees and Sponsorship.
- 2016 budget will be discussed at September’s Board meeting.
MOTION to accept Treasurer’s Report: Colin, Seconded by: Sara
- Main Street will be closed between Bronte and Scott starting August 24th until the end of November. There will be no thru traffic to Downtown via Main Street West during that time. Potential impact to business and determining how to track it was discussed. Board discussed using the MyStreet app to try to track changes in traffic during this time. More focus on promoting the app is required to increase users as well as business participation.
- Application for the Downtown condo development is expected to be submitted soon.
- The new 28 spot parking lot behind St. Paul’s is now under construction and is expected to finished in the next 2 weeks.
- Changes to Town of Milton parking by-laws are expected in September.
MOTION to accept Council Report: John, Seconded by: Val
Pan Am Support
- Katrina provided an overview of the Capture the Flags promotion. Board members agreed that the promotion did not increase Downtown traffic but did help promote Downtown Milton’s support of the PanAm Games.
- PanAM banners are still up but Board asked they be replaced with the existing Downtown banners as soon as possible.
- Katrina presented an update on the Taste Tours. Well-received so far by businesses and participants. Complete review expected at the September meeting.
Paint the Downtown Red
- Promotion mechanics have changed this year and will include a #change drive only from September 26th to October 3rd. BIA to determine which businesses are interested in hosting a loose change drive and supply paint cans as donation jars. These changes were made after concern from BIA members that the event was not helping support their business. Also, the BIA needs to focus on its own fundraising/sponsorship but, at the same time, we don’t want to lose the relationship with the United Way. Update to be presented at September meeting.
- Plans for Tiny Tots Trick or Treat, Shop The Neighbourhood and Downtown for the Holidays (Friday evenings in December) to be discussed at the September meeting.
- Sponsorship will be sought for all of these events. Approaching realtors and banks were two suggestions.
- Ideas for holiday décor were discussed. Recommendations to be presented at September meeting for further discussion/approvals.
Website Update – Presented by David O’Connell, BANG Creative Communications
- NOTE: John assumed role of Chair for this portion of the meeting.
- The new website is now in the staging process and is being reviewed/updated by BIA Staff.
- Anticipated launch date on the evening of Saturday, August 15th.
- Site will be easily accessible on all platforms including mobile devices.
- David walked through key components and features of the website.
MOTION to accept Executive Director Report: Margaret, Seconded by: Sara
- AGM will be held on Wednesday, October 28th at 6:30pm in The Loft at Bergsma’s Paint & Décor. The regular October Board Meeting will also be held on Wednesday, October 14th.
MOTION to adjourn the meeting (9:10pm): Valerie, Seconded by: Coloin
Executive Director’s Report
Wednesday, September 9th, 2015
- Event review and update
- Paint the Downtown Red – update to be provided at the meeting.
- Tiny Tots Trick or Treat – potential sponsorship from Shoppers Drug Mart and So Charming
- Shop the Neighbourhood
- Downtown for the Holidays
- Holiday décor recommendations
- Ideas for tree lighting – update to be provided at meeting.
- Banner update
- Great response to the website
- Google analytics has been added and data is rolling in
Social Media Update
- Instagram and Pinterest have been added
- Renewed focus to Instagram first and foremost
Adding in a Social Media bucket to the existing advertising budget