2015 May Board Meeting

Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area

 

AGENDA

Board of Director’s Meeting

 

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Downtown Milton BIA Office

6:30PM

 

 

  1. Call to Order
  2. Supplier Presentation: My Street App opportunity presented by Anh Truong
  3. Review of previous minutes
  4. Declaration of Pecuniary or Conflict of Interest
  5. Treasurer’s Report
  6. Council Report
  7. Executive Director’s Report
  8. New Business
  • Municipal Act input
  • Member Feedback
  1. Next Meeting Date: Wednesday, June 10th at 6:30pm
  2. Adjournment

 

 

 


 

Previous Meeting’s Minutes

Downtown Milton BIA Meeting Minutes

Location: Downtown Milton BIA Office

Wednesday, April 8th, 2015

 

Attendees: Sara Bergsma, Eric Chabot, David O’Connell, John Da Silva, Valerie Nicholson, Margaret Lara, Miriam Dorland-Haight, Jackie Rowley, Colin Best, Katrina Lemire

Regrets: Mike Boughton

 

Action Items Summary:

  • Katrina to follow up with Town Planning Staff to ensure the BIA is engaged in Civic Precinct Study work.
  • Katrina to determine how many poles are missing banners and then purchase the required hardware to install banners on these poles (within beautification budget – see below).
  • Katrina to compare banner colours vs. stored banners to see if colours have faded.
  • Katrina to follow up with Pan Am liaison to confirm what activation will be happening at the Sports Centre and how/if a shuttle to Downtown can be arranged.
  • Katrina to share Downtown Community Survey results with Planning Department to see if results can used for the Civic Precinct Study.
  • Katrina to further analyze survey results and determine how we can respond to feedback via events, promotions, etc.
  • Katrina to complete all beautification efforts (receptacle and tree lights replacement/repair) within the $7,000 budget allocated for 2015.
  • Katrina to follow up with Town to get insurance for damaged receptacles and lights.
  • Katrina to investigate requirements for Slide The City – a water slide event for municipalities.
  • Katrina to send out fraud notice to all members (reference Halton Police) as follow up to concerns brought forward by Milton Health Foods.

 

Call to Order: 6:38pm

 

Review of Previous Minutes:

MOTION to accept: Colin, Seconded by: David

 

Declaration of Pecuniary or Conflict of Interest:

  • None declared

 

Council Report:

  • Colin Best
    • Legal and consulting expenditures have been approved by the Town to fight CN’s Intermodal Facility proposal
      • Loss of taxes and development charges is one of Town’s largest concerns
      • Notice of Motion to allow offices on main floors in Downtown was amended
        • Staff required planning support to amend by-law so the motion now states that this change will be considered as part of Civic Precinct Study that is being completed by the Town
        • ACTION: Katrina to follow up with Planning staff to ensure that the BIA is included in any consultations as part of Civic Precinct Study work
        • Condo development application has not yet been submitted

 

MOTION to accept Council Report: David, Seconded by: John

ED Report:

Event Updates

DMSF Update

  • Entertainment schedule has been finalized
  • The number of vendors is similar to last year, but many are new vendors and there are applications still being received daily
  • Farmer’s at the Festival has been cancelled due to lack of interest
  • Food Truck Zone will be introduced instead given the interest from Food Truck vendors

Pan Am Support

  • Town of Milton has confirmed that they will support the installation of Pan Am banners in the BIA
  • ACTION: Katrina to determine how many poles are missing banners and purchase the required hardware to install banners on these poles.
  • ACTION: When Downtown Milton banners are taken down, Katrina to compare colours vs. stored banners to see if colours have faded.
  • They are also investigating ideas to have a Pan Am “hub” located in the Downtown area and also encouraging people to visit local bars/restaurants to watch Pan Am events
  • ACTION: Katrina to follow up to confirm what activation will be happening at the Sports Centre and how/if a shuttle to Downtown can be arranged
  • Many Downtown Milton businesses have signed up to offer Pan Am related offers (15% off to anyone who shows a Pan Am ticket) and to be part of the “Capture the Flags” promotion.

 

Downtown Community Survey

  • A summary of the 200 responses was presented.  See Appendix A.
  • Follow up conversations will be scheduled with the 20 respondents who were interested in being more involved with Downtown Milton.
  • ACTION: Katrina to share with Planning Department to see if results can be incorporated into the Civic Precinct Study.
  • ACTION: Katrina to further analyze results and determine how we can respond to feedback through events, promotions, etc.
  • Geo-tracking may be a way to incorporate the history of Downtown into a family-friendly event or activity.  Katrina to investigate further.

 

Beautification

  • There are approximately 9 electrical receptacles that need to be replaced due to damage during the winter.  There are 5+ that need fuse replacements or other repair. 
  • Tree lights are in need of maintenance – many are hanging/loose and some are not working.
  • Town will be replacing dead trees mid-April so the receptacle and light repairs need to be coordinated accordingly.
  • ACTION: Katrina to complete all beautification efforts within the $7,000 budget allocated for 2015.
  • ACTION: Katrina to follow up with Town to get insurance for damaged receptacles and tree lights.

 

MOTION to accept Executive Director Report: Colin, Seconded by: David

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Treasurer’s Report:

  • All year-to-date expenses are aligned with budget and planned for with just two exceptions:
    • WSIB charge – although it’s not a significant amount of money, this is a new charge and we need to understand what it’s for
    • Miscellaneous expenses – Conferences and associated accommodation (FEO and OBIAA) as well as OBIAA membership fees were not allocated in budget but are being captured in Misc Expenses so we can better plan going forward.

MOTION to accept: David, Seconded by: Colin

 

New Business:

  • Slide the City
    • Sara brought this event idea forward to the Board for consideration.
    • Specific requirements to host the event need to be investigate to see if Downtown ilton would be a possible location.
    • ACTION: Katrina to investigate requirements for Slide The City.
    • Member Feedback
      • Dr. Ivan Hunter contacted the BIA to understand how/if we can support the paving of his parking lot.  His lot is often used as public parking although it is private property. We reinforced section 220 of the Municipal Act which states that “BIA funds can only be used for improvements to publicly owned property, not individual businesses or private properties.  The common funds must be used for the common good.”
      • Tariq Ahmed of Milton Health Foods has brought forward a concern about a recent incident of fraud issue that he was involved with.  Although the BIA is not able to help with this specific issue, we will provide a reference for other BIA members (via Halton Regional Police) to educate and raise awareness.

 

MOTION to adjourn the meeting (8:20pm): Colin, Seconded by: Miriam


Back to blog