Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area
Board of Director’s Meeting
Wednesday, January 14th, 2014
Downtown Milton BIA Office
- Call to Order
- Review of previous minutes
- Board Orientation
- Appointment of Executive Positions – Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer
- Declaration of Conflict of Interest
- Treasurer’s Report
- Council Report
- Executive Director’s Report
- New Business
- Next Meeting Date: Wednesday, February 11th at 6:30pm
Previous Meeting’s Minutes
Downtown Milton BIA Meeting Minutes
Location: Saucy Restaurant
Wednesday, December 10th, 2014
Attendees: Sara Bergsma, Colin Best, John Da Silva, David O’Connell, Valerie Nicholson, Miriam Dorland-Haight, Domenic Pasqualino, Katrina Lemire
Regrets: Eric Chabot, Kerri Caswell
Action Items Summary:
- Colin to send out link to Employment and Retail/Commercial Land Needs Study to entire Board for review
- Katrina to set up separate meeting with Board and Town staff to provide overview of study and key findings so Board can determine appropriate response and comments
- Katrina to investigate other options, besides banners, that could provide visual support for PanAm Games Downtown from April to August 2015
- Katrina to talk to Milton Cruise Club to understand implications of re-scheduling and/or cancelling for 2015 (eg: impact for future years)
- Katrina to provide ideas for other Summer 2015 event options that don’t involve closing the street
Call to Order: 7:02pm
Review of Previous Minutes:
- Motion to accept: Valerie, Seconded by: Miriam
- Complete financial report will be presented in January
- December expenses related to Downtown for the Holidays are the only current expenses
- We expect to be only slightly overspent vs. budget despite 2014’s additional and unexpected costs. Most of our surplus will be maintained.
- Motion to accept: David, Seconded by: Valerie
- Budget is expected to come to Council on January 12
- Budget Open House is being hosted by the Town on January 8
- Regional approval of the budget is expected January 28
- Projected approximate 3% tax increase
- Employment and Retail/Commercial Land Needs Study has been sent to Downtown Milton for our review and input by January 30, 2015
- Looks at retail areas and employment recommendations out to 2041 in response to expected continuation of population growth – 1M+ by 2014
- ACTION: Colin to send out link to study to entire Board for review
- ACTION: Katrina to set up separate meeting with Board and Town staff to provide overview of study and key findings
- Motion to accept Council Report: David, Seconded by: Miriam
Downtown Milton Street Festival – PanAm Activation
- Board agreed that adding PanAm visuals to Downtown would be a great way to demonstrate our support for the games
- ACTION: Katrina to investigate other options, besides banners, that could provide visual support for PanAm at a reduced cost
Classic Cruise Night
- Katrina had the opportunity to discuss the Classic Cruise Night event with Halton Police and Engineering Department. The annual date for 2015 – 3rd Friday in July – conflicts with a PanAm event.
- As stated in a letter from each group earlier in 2014, there is an event blackout period from July 3 to August 21 2015. Policing cannot be provided during this time because of the focus on increased security for PanAm. To close Main Street and to allow extended patios (alcohol), policing is required and enforced by the Ontario Traffic Act. Consequently, there is no way to host the Classic Cruise Night on its annually scheduled date.
- Options discussed:
- Can we re-schedule to June (too close to DMSF) or September/October (concern about weather)? Will Classic Cruise participants tolerate a re-scheduled date? (eg. a new date may conflict with another car show).
- Should we consider doing a different event for 2015, potentially PanAm related?
- ACTION: Katrina to talk to Milton Cruise Club to understand implications of re-scheduling an/or cancelling for 2015 (impact for future years?)
- ACTION: Katrina to provide ideas for other Summer 2015 event options that don’t involve closing the street.
- Tara Thornton has accepted the position as Communications Coordinator and will start January 5th, 2015.
- Katrina will be on vacation from December 24th, returning January 5th. Vacation was approved by Eric.
- The FEO Conference is scheduled for March 4 to 6. Katrina would like to attend to represent Downtown Milton and gain event experience related to DMSF and other events in Downtown Milton.
- Motion presented by David:
- Katrina to attend the FEO Conference in March 2015 at a cost of $400 plus accommodation (total cost approximately $900). Seconded by: Colin
Motion to adjourn the meeting (7:41pm): Colin, Seconded by: Valerie