Downtown Milton Business Improvement Area
Board of Director’s Meeting
Wednesday, August 12th, 2015
SPECIAL LOCATION: Pasqualino
- Call to Order
- 2. Welcome/Introductions: Executive Director, Laurie Chambers
- Review of previous minutes
- Declaration of Pecuniary or Conflict of Interest
- Treasurer’s Report
- Council Report
- Executive Director’s Report
- New Business
- Next Meeting Date: Wednesday, September 9th at 6:30pm
Previous Meeting’s Minutes
Downtown Milton BIA Meeting Minutes
Location: Downtown Milton BIA Office
Wednesday, July 8, 2015
Attendees: Eric Chabot, David O’Connell, John Da Silva, Valerie Nicholson, Sara Bergsma, Margaret Lara, Miriam Dorland-Haight, Jackie Rowley, Katrina Lemire
Guests (presentation only): Gabe Charles (Town of Milton), Patricia Flannagan (BIA member), Ann Kornuta (BIA staff)
Regrets: Colin Best, Mike Boughton
Action Items Summary:
- Katrina to maintain contact with Gabe Charles to understand all opportunities for public input into the Downtown Study.
- Katrina to follow with Gabe regarding the BIA’s inclusion on the Stakeholder Group for the Downtown Study.
- Katrina/John to include $1000 for Tourism Exemption Application in 2016 budget.
Special Presentation: Gabe Charles
Senior Manager, Planning & Development at Town of Milton
- An overview of the Downtown Study was presented including a review of the content from the public engagement session that was held on Monday, June 29th.
- Planning Department is very interested in hearing from the public and wants the outcome of this study to accurately reflect the community’s opinion.
- Timing was outlined:
- Further public consultation: October 2015, December 2015
- Initial direction and strategy development: March 2015
- Implementation: pending recommended outcomes, could include short-term (zoning changes) and long-term (infrastructure)
- All Board Directors were given a package outlining opportunities for public input and study highlights.
Call to Order: 7:39pm
Review of Previous Minutes:
MOTION to accept: John, Seconded by: David
Declaration of Pecuniary or Conflict of Interest:
- No new conflicts
Treasurer’s Report: John da Silva
- All DMSF expenses are accounted for. We have not yet received the $8,000 sponsorship from Town of Milton (expected in July) but our rescinded CN sponsorship has been returned.
- Costs associated with WSIB Training/Contributions are still being investigated. We may already be paying them under employee benefits but they are now being separated into a separate budget line.
- No other concerns at this time. Planning for 2016 budget will begin in August/September.
MOTION to accept Treasurer’s Report: Valerie, Seconded by: David
- No report
- Katrina presented final review of DMSF, including financials. See attached.
Pan Am Support
- Capture the Flags promotion has seen about 100 entries.
- Katrina showed promotional posters for this new event.
- Good response so far from businesses.
- No report provided. Katrina is awaiting more information from suppliers.
Tourism Exemption Application
- Katrina reviewed requirements associated with Tourism Exemption Application.
- Many businesses who may be interested in being open on Statutory Holidays are already able to do so under the Retail Act – restaurants, art, tourism, convenience. Retail and services are the only exceptions but they could be open if there is a festival happening in their municipality that day (eg. Canada Day, Victoria Day)
- Benefit of spending $1000, given the information above, was discussed.
- It is not allocated for in 2015 budget so Board decided to add it into 2016 budget to ensure that Downtown Milton BIA is aligned with other BIAs in the region.
ED Recruitment Update
- Hiring Committee is conducting interviews with 6 candidates on Thursday, July 16th.
MOTION to accept Executive Director Report: Sara, Seconded by: John
- No new business
MOTION to adjourn the meeting (8:41pm): Sara, Seconded by: John